Metrics To Measure If Your SEO Is Driving Tangible Commercial Results
Regular analysis of your website helps determine many metrics related to your SEO and digital performance. Reporting on your top performing pages, top converting keywords and areas of your website that need to be optimized for search will benefit your marketing team and digital strategy moving forward.
By reporting on SEO efforts, your company will gain knowledge of website rankings, have the ability to improve your performance against industry competition, and make critical changes to your site to improve the customer journey and ultimately the end goal of lead generation and sales.
When setting objectives for SEO what are the key metrics you should see reported on? And how do these metrics impact your business?
- Total organic clicks – This will give you a clear idea on the number of clicks you receive on your site and from which search queries you receive them from.
- Number of goals completed via organic traffic – Traffic and campaigns is not successful unless the goal is reached. SEO metrics can identify number of goal completions, goal value and goal conversion rate.
- Bounce rates – There is no point applying strategies to a page that is already receiving a high bounce rate from a large amount of organic traffic. Tracking the bounce rate of users helps you understand behaviours and making critical website changes to improve results.
- Top exit pages – By measuring this metric it will become easier for you to identify and fix the elements of your site that are encouraging your visitors to leave prematurely.
- Target keywords and their organic ranking - By tracking keyword rankings you can monitor the top keywords that are driving traffic to your website. You can also measure your keyword rankings against your competitor’s and therefore have a clearer idea of your success in SEO efforts.
- Mobile usability reports – Mobile browsing has surpassed desktop browsing and therefore it is crucial to ensure users are not facing any errors when using the site on mobile. Reporting on mobile usability will help you fix errors and manage the mobile journey.
- Lifetime value for users (LTV) – Lifetime value reportsare a prediction of thevalue of a customer over the lifetime with your company or brand. Often this is an estimate or average based of metrics reports previously such as ‘purchase value per customer’ and ‘cost of acquisition per customer’. More complex formulas can be used. This is a helpful report as it shows the value of marketing and leads produced online.
- Crawl errors – By monitoring the crawl error report on a regular basis and fixing the errors the occur, Google is able to properly cache the pages of your website and increase the chances of ranking more of your pages in organic search traffic.
What information are your marketing team are recording at the start of a campaign?
- Current ranking for your top 5 keywords (your starting point)
- Website visitors (so you know how many prospects currently find and click onto your website – your prospect opportunity level)
- Bounce Rates (how many people click off the site within 30 seconds and therefore the site wasn’t appealing enough to them or the site isn’t relevant to what they’re looking for)
- Time spent on site (this indicates how interested and valuable a prospect is on your site, long periods of time i.e. longer than 2 minutes shows intrigue and the site’s ability to generate a lukewarm prospecting pool)
- Pages viewed per visit (indicates how much interest the prospect has in your site, business, and product/service range as they having a in-depth look around and researching well)
Management of your metrics
Your marketing teams should review and report each of your SEO metrics at the end of each month, displaying both successes and areas of improvements (At Zest we work in 90 day plans and always do a full review at the end of the 90 days, ready for the next 90 day plan).
You should start to see incremental movements in the right direction within the first month, and slightly bigger shifts after three months/90 days, which is why we work in 90 day plans.
If you would like help with your SEO campaigns and metrics, feel free to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Services for more information.